Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Poetry for the soul: truth


"To be or not to be: that is the question." that is the opening line of a soliloquy of Shakespeare's play Hamlet. I can still remember my English teacher
and how she made this play come alive. If I can summarize, I would say that this play raised our emotions and imaginations to great heights. Fast forward a few years later, I  still enjoy that play. Lately however one of my friends mentioned something to me as I was driving her home from a prayer meeting which we had just left. We were discussing the songs and she was expressing how we needed a group that would be willing to practice regularly so as to deliver a better praise session. Before I asked why she was so passionate about it, she said "music raises our minds to God." She had explained in one sentence how exactly I felt after singing gospel songs or hymns; my mind would be elevated above the million distractions in the world and I would think of God and easily enter into prayer.
      So we've seen how good plays can raise our emotions and imaginations to great heights and how good singing can raise our minds to God. That brings me to my third love and that is poetry. Maybe you remember how you felt after you read your first poem, or maybe you even wrote a poem to the girl or boy you liked in junior high. Well I remember both. I can also say that poetry stole my heart. From the book of psalms to the songs of songs, we encounter the beauty of poetry, and we can say that good poetry penetrates our heart and help us to open our hearts to God if it points towards Him. From that, I wish to share a series of some of the poems I have written and I will start with one I wrote conversing with truth.

                                                                         truth
My heart can no longer deny you
I must embrace you for a better view
Day by day I arise from the dungeons of my misery
From fighting against you with a cold sweat I am weary
I have taken a sip of you but now what
Is it not enough for me to expel my doubt
Yet it seems that if I don't take the whole cup of you
You turn into poison that will destroy me but not you
A little bit of you has thrown my heart into chaos
I want your full benefits but without the vows
My yearning is great but who can move my afflicted heart
Which is stuck in the lies that I have lived
But fears the truth I have now found
The time is now my heart declares
To break the chains on my daily affairs
And embrace you whose name is truth
So my heart can be free at last
To follow Christ who is my very first

for future poems, tune in on Fridays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome.