Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Does anybody care about the truth?
   I remember like it was yesterday  praying unceasingly to God that he may not allow me to be deceived. I also remember the joy that I felt when that prayer was answered to me in a very special way. I was at a point where so many voices were speaking to me and I simply couldn't discern which one to listen to. In the midst of this darkness, the Lord made known to me that he was the answer, and ever since He has shown me the path. Ever since I can trust what He speaks through His Church and those he left in His place. Its a challenge to accept the truth sometimes because it makes demands of us but the freedom that accompanies it is worth it.  Now the more I try to share it, the more I learn that few people want to embrace it. But do people care about the truth?
   Today I was pondering about this and I have come to the conclusion that many people don't want to know the truth. Many would rather remain in the company of lies than even take a glimpse of the truth. Its almost true to all that if asked, we would proclaim that we are lovers of truth, but once it's presented to us, we reject it immediately without giving it a chance and even close our ears so that we may not hear it, or like Jesus put it "listening they do not hear." As St. Thomas Aquinas put it, "the first reaction to truth is anger."  Oh how true this is. I can relate to this in a most personal way for I know that most often, when I hear some truth, it challenges me to change and this at first will cause us to be angry. Now the reason for this is that truth always challenges us to change for the better, and we all know that this is not a walk in the park. It is this same thing that caused Our Lord to be crucified. He spoke the truth to his contemporaries, and rather than change their ways, they wanted to get rid of him. He came to set them free and give them light, but many "preferred darkness than light." Its through His crucifixion that we have been set free but, even 2000 yrs later, many still prefer darkness other than the light, lies over truth and bondage over freedom. Jesus told his disciples that "My people die for the lack of knowledge."  Now more than ever we need knowledge and truth. St. Paul says that "the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth" (1 Timothy 3:15 ) so we need to remain in this pillar, or we will fall prey to the devil who is like "the roaring lion seeking whom he may devour".   Let us pray that we may not be deceived, and Our Lord is good to grant this who is our true Shepherd who loves his flock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome.